« Warnings | Main | Comments Posting Error »


Friday, September 9, 2005

Upgraded from 3.17 to 3.2

Wow... after trying overnight to upgrade, I finally succeeded this morning. Sometimes it is good to just leave a problem for a bit and try again the next day.

Problems that I encountered last night was that when I ran my mt.cgi script, I got an error message that just said:

Got an error

That's it. Doesn't say anything more and the login for my admin page is not there. Next, I try running mt-upgrade.cgi and get a 500 Internal Server Error. I then run mt-check.cgi and it would seem that I have everything required for MT to run. Finally, I check my server error logs and these are the errors I've been getting apparently when running mt.cgi:

Use of uninitialized value in numeric gt (>) at lib/MT/ObjectDriver/DBI.pm line 102.
Use of uninitialized value in numeric gt (>) at lib/MT/ObjectDriver/DBI.pm line 281.

And when running mt-upgrade.cgi, I got the following errors:

Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at lib/MT.pm line 258.
Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at lib/MT/ObjectDriver.pm line 18.

Anyway, I tried again this morning and this is what I did...

  • Re-edited mt-config.cgi-original and instead of doing a "save as" I just did a "save." Then transfered that file over to the server and renamed it to mt-config.cgi.
  • Ran mt.cgi and got a 500 Internal Server Error.
  • Opened the mt-upgrade.cgi and deleted the empty line at the end - thanks to this entry in the MT Support Forums
  • Ran mt.cgi again and the admin page appears. I login and run the upgrade. That's it.

After the upgrade, these are things to remember to do:

  • Change permission settings of mt-upgrade.cgi, mt-config.cgi and mt-check.cgi to 644.
  • Comment out "PublishCharset utf-8" and "NoHTMLEntities 1" so that symbols and characters on my site revert to their original instead of popping up as weird syntax.
  • Rebuild site and check to see if there are errors or abnormal syntax appearing.
  • Check plugins - ensure the rights ones are enabled and those that are not needed, disabled.

Comments

Hey thanks for the information man.

I haven't tried it yet, but I am on a windows server and ran into the same problems as you, except running mt.cgi just gave me a blank page.

HOPEFULLY your solution will work.

Post a comment


Archives



Powered by
Movable Type 3.35